We’ve all spent 2020 reevaluating our priorities and our health & wellness.
To better understand how Americans view fitness heading into the New Year, we conducted a multiple choice survey of over 600 consumers in December 2020. We asked Americans what their resolutions are, where they will be working out in the New Year and how often they worked out in 2020 compared to 2019; along with their workout workout plans for the year that lies ahead.
The results are in – and there are definitely some surprises in here! Below is a comprehensive list of what Americans have told us about where, when and why they will be working out in 2021.
America is exercising more in 2020 versus 2019.
- 40% of Americans surveyed exercised more in 2020 than they did in 2019.
- 33% exercised less in 2020.
- 25% exercised about the same in 2020.
America is planning on making 2021 the fittest year EVER!
- 75% of Americans surveyed intend to work out more in 2021 than they did in 2020.
- 24% plan on working out at the same frequency.
- 1% plan on decreasing their workout frequency.
Most Americans are planning to workout at least 3 days/week in 2021.
- 65% of Americans plan to work out 3-5 days a week in 2021.
- 26% are planning to workout 6+ days a week.
There is a dissolution of resolutions in 2021.
- 48% of Americans surveyed plan to make a specific New Year’s resolution in 2021.
- 52% are not planning to make a New Year’s resolution.
Americans have a lot of pent up demand for making healthy changes!
The top 5 New Year’s resolutions for 2021 are:
- Work out more/be more active: 78%
- Eat healthier: 75%
- Lose weight 55%
- Save more money/ spend less money: 51%
- Learn a new skill: 38%
Americans are committing to get stronger in 2021.
America’s top fitness-related goals for 2021 are:
- Get stronger & toned: 28%
- Lose weight: 26%
- Improve my overall health: 21%
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: 20%
Americans have a solid diversity of exercise interests they’re planning on pursuing in 2021.
- Strength training: 37%
- Cardio: 26%
- HIIT: 17%
- Yoga & Pilates: 11%
Home is where the GYM is.
Here’s where Americans primarily plan to exercise in 2021:
- At home: 47%
- At a gym or studio: 31%
- Outside: 15%
- Building fitness center: 7%
BUT… the vast majority of Americans (78%) plan to start the year working out at home in January 2021 and only 31% of Americans surveyed said they plan to go to a gym during that time frame.
Only 15% of Americans who don’t have gym memberships plan to get one in 2021.
Nearly 1 in 5 (19%) Americans that have gym memberships noted they plan to cancel their memberships in 2021.
Survey Data Compilation: 617 American consumers ages 18 and older agreed to take a survey outlining their fitness behaviors and goals in 2019, 2020, and 2021. The survey was conducted from 12/12/20-12/22/20, and participants were recruited through Fyt’s platform and social networks. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any inquiries regarding the results.